Watermelon Slush Time!
What is made of mostly water and has its own festival every August?
As we embark on the hottest month of the year in the four states area, we wanted to provide you with a sweet way to stay hydrated and help with digestion during the hustle and bustle of back to school!
Watermelon is the perfect summertime treat! It’s delicious, refreshing, and healthy! It’s packed with antioxidants and is a great source of vitamins A and C. This tasty fruit also aids in digestion, making it easier for your body to take in all those vitamins it provides.
The high water content in watermelon makes it the perfect food to fight the heat. They are naturally rich in electrolytes and minerals, making them a healthy replacement for those sugary energy and sports drinks. Not only will you feel refreshed, but you’ll also feel less tired, too!
There are more ways to eat watermelon than your traditional slices. One of our favorite ways is to make it into a slush! That way, you can get all the benefits of eating watermelon while having the extra cooling and fun benefits of eating a slushy! This is a great summer snack the whole family will enjoy. And on top of all of that… it’s super easy to make!
All you need is…
- A blender or food processor
- A freezer
- A strainer
- A medium-sized seedless watermelon (make sure it is firm and has a deep green rind because those often promise the sweetest fruit)
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar or a sugar substitute
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Lemon-lime soda (optional)
Follow these steps and you are sure to be the center of attention this Labor Day!
- Cut open the watermelon (and try not to eat it).
- Cube the meat inside until you have approximately six cups full.
- Place the melon in the blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine strainer to make sure any chunks or fibers are left out.
- Once strained, add in the sugar and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix well and cover the mixture with plastic wrap.
- Place the watermelon slush mix in the freezer until frozen.
- Once frozen and ready, remove the bowl of watermelon mix from the fridge and use a large spoon to scrape frozen shavings.
- Add the slush to a cup and there you have it! You can also choose to add a little bit of lemon-lime soda to the slushie to add a little kick of flavor, but we recommend enjoying it in its pure watermelon flavored bliss!
Beat this heat and help your digestion system this summer by adding this treat to your back yard go-to recipes! For more helpful tips follow our blog!