Spiders Hate Citrus!
What has eight legs, the ability to make silk, and a distaste of citrus?
Spiders! So, pull out those orange peels because they are about to come in handy!
Most people aren’t raving fans of these arachnids that can be spotted on every continent except Antarctica. Despite providing us with free pest control from insects such as mosquitos and fleas which in turn helps with the spread of diseases, most of us do not want to live with spiders.
So, get out those orange peels from yesterday’s hack and get ready to use them!
Instead of spraying toxic chemicals all around the house, you can take a more natural approach! Any citrus fruit such as lemons, limes, and grapefruit can be used for this hack, but we just wanted to be waste-friendly by saving the peels from yesterday.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cut the peel off the citrus fruit of your choice if you didn’t save the peels from yesterday.
- Cut the peel into quarter-inch chunks.
- Place the chunks into a pot and pour one cup of boiling water over half of the chunks.
- Soak overnight.
- The next day, strain the chunks and add a quarter-cup of witch hazel to the water.
- Put liquid in a spray bottle and shake well.
- Smash up the remaining chunks of orange peel to release the citrus scent and then sprinkle those in places like cabinets, under the sink, and other areas where spiders frequently enter or are seen.
Do this every couple of days to keep the scent fresh and strong to keep the spiders at bay. Another helpful tip is to use citrus-scented house cleaners for a similar result!
Give this tip a try and let us know how it turns out!