It's Getting Hot! Hot! Hot!
Is your child feeling sick? Well, don’t call the school office just yet! Normal body temperature is 98.6 °F, but everyone’s body temperature (adults and children) fluctuates throughout the day depending on age, activity level, and many other factors. The magic number for fever in everyone though, no matter the age, is 100.4 °F.
It’s important to know that fever itself isn’t an illness but a symptom of one. Fevers can occur because of anything from a cold to an infection. Babies who are even just bundled up a little too much can get a fever! A fever is the body’s way of fighting off the sickness or infection. The hypothalamus, the part of your brain that controls your body’s temperature regulations, causes the body’s temperature to rise in defense against any invading germs or bacteria. Fevers are uncomfortable, but they aren’t all bad. Low-grade fevers are usually nothing to worry about, and it’s only when the person with a fever starts showing signs discomfort or when the fever goes above 102.5 °F, that they should come to HealthCARE Express to treat their fever and the illness that caused it.
When Not to Worry
- Fever that lasts less than five days.
- A child eats and drinks as normal and has the desire and energy to play.
- Temperatures of up to 102.5 °F. These temperatures can be a normal sign of fighting an illness.
- Child recently received an injection. Low-grade fevers can be normal (if they last less than 24 hours) if your child was just immunized.
When to Visit HealthCARE Express
- A child is under three months. A fever could be a baby’s only warning sign that he or she is facing a serious illness.
- Fever lasts more than five days. Your provider may need to investigate any underlying cause.
- Fever higher than 104 °F. If your child has a fever of 104 °F that doesn’t come down within two hours of taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen, come to the clinic right away.
- Your child is not acting like themselves.
- You’re worried. If you have questions about your child’s temperature or illness, don’t hesitate to bring them to HealthCARE Express.